Thursday, May 30, 2013

So What About the Ladybugs?

As we round out our eighth week of homeschooling, I am happy to report the blessings are immeasurable.

Many ladybug blessings...

I must admit that it took awhile to get things where they worked for us, but I have learned to leave my "schedule" behind, and ROLL with it.  Our basic day is as follows:

Morning Work:
Handwriting
Math
Grammar & Phonics
Read Aloud/Language Arts

Afternoon Work:
Silent Reading/Finish Morning Work
Social Studies
Science

Originally I had a different schedule, but I changed things a couple times to make it work for us.  One of the biggest changes is the time schedule for things.  Now I just have us complete morning work before lunch and do afternoon work after lunch.

As you can see I am not currently doing Spelling words.  I find that spelling is involved in book reports, questions for language arts, social studies reports, and science reports.  So spending time copying words and taking a weekly test just doesn't seem prudent for us at this time.  

I have also been asked if Eviebug does what Zoebug does.  The answer is, yes!  She prints, while Zoebug works on cursive writing, she has her own Math while Zoebug does Math, they both have Grammar/Phonics workbooks, and they both work on Science and Social Studies as well.  The one area I separate them is Language Arts.  Eviebug listens while Zoebug reads her story of the day.  Then Zoebug writes answers to the daily story while Eviebug reads aloud to me.  

I have also noticed that taking many breaks throughout the day helps the Labybugs stay focused on their work.  These breaks do not include watching TV or playing a video game.  Rather they are playing with Maggie outside.  

We also play many educational games.  Our current favorite is Quirkle.  



I have also enjoyed teachable moments - unscheduled opportunities to teach and be taught.  I look at these as being on the same vein as what some call, "unschooling".  It is a way to have child-directed learning.  However, for our purposes I am only having these interests determine our science and/or social studies work.  

For instance, every spring we have a mom and dad robin who make a nest using our gutters: Robins  We talked about how every year they come back to have babies. And then we watched this great video:


Are You Teaching Them Enough?
I also have been asked what curriculum I use.  I have had the great pleasure of having a retired elementary school teacher as a mom, and I also have collected "stuff" throughout the many years I have been teaching.  Therefore, I use a hodge-podge of curriculum at this point, but if we continue in the fall I will use a more focused curriculum series (maybe).

Here is what I use for each subject:

Morning Work:
Handwriting
  • Originally we were continuing Handwriting Without Tears with Zoebug (she was working on this in her classroom), however, after WAY TOO MANY TEARS (I know, right?), I switched to Zander-Bloser Handwriting.  Eviebug prints words from her read aloud books.  I have her print them 3 times each.  
Math
  • Originally I had Eviebug in a book I got Zoebug from Target 3 years ago.  However, she finished it last week.  Now both girls are in Evan-Moor Skill Sharpeners.  Zoebug is in a 3rd grade book and Eviebug in a 1st grade book.
Grammar & Phonics
  • Zoebug was given Grammar worksheets from school, so we've continued a unit of those per week at her speed (3 or 4 pages per day).  Eviebug was using that Target book, but this week Eviebug started a new book, Word Skills Fun from The Mailbox Books for K-1.  
Read Aloud/Language Arts
  • Zoebug has been using a series of books from my mother's years as a teacher.  The series is for 2nd and 3rd grade and is from the D.C. Heath and Company.  Eviebug is currently reading first readers from Margaret Hillert.  We have been enjoying watching Eviebug grow at reading, considering before homeschooling she was reading one and two word stories.  

Afternoon Work:
Silent Reading/Finish Morning Work
  • Zoebug reads chapter books for book reports which she does upon completion.  She read a few Magic Treehouse books, then switched to The Bailey School Kids series.  She likes mystery/detective books a lot (her past favorite was Nate the Great).  Evie reads picture books (looks at pictures somewhat) to herself.  
Social Studies
Science
  • In both cases the girls have been taught subjects that they find fascinating.  We have learned about Thomas Edison, Robert Frost, crystals, rocks, and robins.  It is so much fun learning as we go.

The Future
I have been asked by many what our plans are for schooling in the fall.  Zoebug was accepted at our school of choice (School L).  Unfortunately, Eviebug was not.  The 1st grade for the fall at School L does not have the space the 3rd grade does.  So now we have applied for a boundary extension for Eviebug.  When will we hear?  August.  Yeah, August.  If Eviebug does NOT get the boundary extension, we have decided to continue homeschooling in the fall.  There is nothing wrong with our neighborhood school (School N), but I feel homeschooling would be the better choice for us.  If Eviebug in fact does get approved for the boundary extension, we will have to cross that bridge at that time.

I have many friends who are looking forward for school to be done this spring - in order to spend more time with their babes.  I also know many who are excited there is no more "homework" during the summer months.  However, we are not going to stop learning this summer.  We will be doing curriculum from the Prairie Primer.  In fact, we are all looking forward to learning more about the time Laura Ingalls lived.  One of my problems with traditional schooling is the mindset that summer is when you no longer learn.  I really feel it is sad to teach our children that reading, writing, math, and other skills are only important between September and June.  I believe it is my job as a mom to cultivate their desire to ask questions, and want to learn more from our world.

No comments: