Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Hope in a Nutshell

Four weeks ago I made the hopeful decision to lose 100 pounds.  This is still a very lofty goal, but I'm proud to state that I have lost almost 16 of the 100 (15.8 to be exact).

During the four weeks, I learned some things:
  • I need to have at least 1 cup of coffee a day (not black either).  Well, maybe 2 is the appropriate answer.  Said coffee needs to be with soy milk.  Not a lot, mind you, but enough to make the color change to a lighter brown.
  • I really don't like working out, but I do enjoy walking around Greenfield Village (which is a 2 mile walk if you do it right).
  • I get heartburn from brownies.  I know, right?  I used to get a lot of heartburn before this program.  I did not eat a lot of brownies before, but I did take a lot of heartburn medicine.  Since starting I have not needed the medicine; that was until Saturday night when I ate a big brownie.  It was so tasty, but I suppose I'll just eat a tootsie roll when I need chocolate again.  Oh well.  I love tootsie rolls.
  • Bread smells like sugar.
  • The bakery section of the supermarket makes my stomach lurch. 
  • I really like my new face cream: Hope in a Jar by Philosophy
  • I can still make crock-pot meals (which I think are really easy) on days I teach lessons in the evenings; they are healthier options, but tasty just the same.
  • I do not, in any shape or form like kale (not even baked into chips).
  • I do not like flax seed, flax meal, or anything remotely flax oriented.
  • My knee does not need surgery - in fact, it is just getting old.  So after an injection of cortisone, I have been told to exercise and lose weight.  Okay.
  • I have my first crown in my mouth.  Currently it is temporary, but it is my crowning achievement to focus more on the health of my teeth as well as my overall body.
As the school year comes to a close, I am hopeful to do more outdoor physical activity this summer.  I really hope that I can return to teaching in the fall a healthier person.

Dinner making awaits.

1 comment:

Jahna said...

Way to go! Proud of you. At least you tried Kale. I won't even do that. I need to lose 30lbs which is like 60 to you. So any tips would be welcome. Unfortunately there's not a nice place where I can go walk outside near here (that is accessible) besides, it rains, a lot! Looking into inside options.

I am very proud of you though. You're an awesome Mom, friend and teacher. Love you!