Friday, May 11, 2012

Lord, I Want to Be Like Jesus in My Heart

This week's news made me smile?  Why?  Because two very different, but very controversial stories hit the news media.

The first one was President Barack Obama's comment about supporting gay marriage.  Since I am a Christian, and my girls goto a Christian school, I have a variety of radical thinking Christian friends.  What I always find interesting is how the Bible is quoted to judge another person's viewpoint.  You can sit on your high horse or stand on your soapbox and quote every scripture to support you ideals.  Yes, there are plenty of scriptures on homosexuality.  But the one I wish Christians would use more often it:

Romans 2:23 (which was a Bible verse Zoe had to learn in Kindergarten, by the way)
"..for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.."

So if we have all sinned, is there one sin greater than another?  No.  I believe Jesus (to whom the Christian faith is attributed) would be appalled at the judgmental behavior exhibited by his so called, "followers".  This of course does not, in any way shape or form, prohibit individuals from having their own opinions.  That's what makes this country so freakin' great.  Yes, reader, I said FREAKIN'!  We can all have our own interpretations, we can all have our own opinions of what God's word meant in the scriptures.  

However, Barak Obama is a human being.  He has sinned, just like me - just like you.  He is not the first President to believe in the idea of same sex marriage - but we never heard about it.  I also think Obama's timing of the statement has more to do with the election that his own personal views.  Whether or not you agree with his moral standing, it is rather immature and incentive to berate your Facebook friends publicly.  Of course Facebook does tend to allow everyone to feel their view(s) are important.    

Look, I don't care if you don't vote for him - or if you hate him even.  That is YOUR prerogative.  But the one thing I think it is important to remember is: as a Christian, we have asked Jesus into our hearts.  Negative thoughts and feelings only jeopardize how others see us.  We must be loving - loving our neighbor, especially the ones who are difficult to love.  I can only imagine how that negative, judgmental behavior is perceived by non-Christians.  

I sincerely hope that in the words of Jesus Christ, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her."  (John 8:7b)

No comments: