Thursday, May 3, 2012

Spice of Life

Our society is inundated with a plethora of diets, from quick solutions to long term ones.  There are plans that make one count calories (or fiber, fat, etc.), plans that make one purchase pre-made food (even if the food is natural shakes), and plans that require monthly fees.  But my question: which one is the best? could never be given a definitive answer.  Unless, of course, one would say, "the diet that best works for you."

In my humble opinion, a healthy program does not do the following:
1) Make one pay a monthly fee
2) Make one buy pre-made food
3) Have other products to enhance the plan (i.e. supplements, microwave meals, prepackaged extras, etc.), which are marketed as "must haves".
4) Suggest there is a "one-size-fits-all" mentality

I had a great laugh with a very sweet mom at Zoe's ballet class yesterday.  She stated that Family Fun magazine is the only magazine that doesn't make her feel like she needs to lose weight, or redecorate, or have a makeover.  It is simply a FUN magazine.  And I couldn't agree more.  Speaking of MORE, I recently became aware of a magazine MORE.  I have a current subscription.  It is mostly a fashion magazine with articles for 40-something women.  The May 2012 edition had an article called, "What to do Now to Be Healthy in 20 Years."  There were three anti-aging tactics, which basically suggested getting more exercise (the RIGHT kind of exercise), feeding one's aging brain, and eating more foods that "may" fend off chronic diseases.

Some of my favorite pointers were:
*Step Away From the Doughnut
*Drink Up
and
*Find a Purpose in Life

Then there were categories of food that seemed awfully familiar to the categories in the Digest Diet.  However, the article was mainly focused on foods that were rich in anti-oxidants.  My favorite category was spices.  I never realized the powerful effect of adding spices to food until I read the Digest Diet.  So the article in MORE was not new to me, but I was glad to see the list highlighted in a different source.

I find the spices category hilarious.  When I was growing up we were not a spice family.  Ketchup, mustard, pickle relish, and onions were about as far as we went with our condiments.  Of course salt and pepper were also on the table, but it wasn't until Jim and I started dating that I truly new the possibilities of herbs and spices.  As much as Progresso Italian bread crumbs make my favorite chicken (along with stove top stuffing), they really don't constitute as spices.  And now that I am married to Jim, I cannot tell you how much I crave Indian food with hot spices or Mexican with a kick.  Anyway, here are the two lists.

Digest Diet - Fat Releaser Seasonings
*Basil
*Black Pepper
*Cayenne Pepper
*Celery Seeds
*Chili Peppers
*Cinnamon
*Garlic
*Marjoram
*Oregano
*Onion
*Parsley
*Red Pepper Flakes
*Rosemary
*Scallion
*Thyme

MORE Magazine - Antioxidant Seasonings
*Basil
*Black Pepper
*Cinnamon
*Chile
*Cloves
*Ginger
*Mustard Seed
*Oregano
*Paprika
*Tumeric

The point is: spice up your lives people!  Tee hee!

1 comment:

Shelly said...

Love this! Im going grocery shopping tomorrow for spices and getting all the necessities for my so called 21 day standard process diet or life change or whatever u call it. Im excited! Keep up the good work! Xo