Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Chocolate Milk and Croissants

Today I need to write.  Why?  Because I feel emotionally exhausted.  My healthy eating is going well, I'm exercising almost every day, and I feel pretty good.  So why the emotional stuff?  I tend to get like this when I make a change.  The current change?  My tuition rate and scheduling lessons for the fall.  I am confident about the change, but I'm just feeling a bit of guilt.  Rather than talking about THAT, I thought I would peruse through the Daily Spark and find a frivolous topic.

Topic #91: Chocolate Milk and Croissants
If you had to spend two weeks alone on a remote island and could choose only one kind of food and one kind of drink to take along, what would you choose?  Explain your rationale.

This statement is quite open to interpretations.  A "kind" of food could be Mexican, or Southwest Fusion, or Japanese.  However, I will limit my options to have only ONE item of food.  To eat the same food over and over and over, just as itself.  One could approach this question with choosing one's favorite food.  Many would say chocolate, or candy bars, or pie (of course you could only choose ONE kind of pie).

However, in my humble opinion, I think peanut butter is the best food possible.  Of course I would need it to be able to be eaten in many ways, so I would say Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches.  This way I could separate the bread and have two sandwiches, or I could lick the inside contents, or I could cook the sandwich over a fire for a dessert treat.  Yes, that is my food.

Now onto beverages.  If I were stranded on a remote island, I would most likely be surrounded by salt water.  In this case, drinking water would possibly be scarce.  So I think water would be my smartest choice of beverage.  Water is not my favorite drink.  My favorite would probably be sun tea or bourbon.  However, I don't really think alcoholic beverages would be sufficient in the tropics.  I'll stick with water.

There is another way to interpret the question.  There is nothing that states I am alone on this remote island.  I might be with a group of others who also could only bring one food.  In that case, I will stick with my drink selection: water.  However, I might need something tastier to trade for another person's provisions.  In that case I would choose roasted chicken.  Roasted chicken would work well if another person brought dessert or even if they brought peanut butter.  A Thai peanut chicken would be very tasty.

As much as I wish I could get away for awhile, I don't really care to escape to a remote island.  Nor do I hope to be all alone.  I believe to "get away from it all" truly means to get away from the daily grind.  Get away from schedules: school, work, homework, lessons, etc.  Get away from phones, and emails, and facebook and TVs.  Just get away.

What would be YOUR food and beverage choices?

No comments: