Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Picture Box


My favorite summer memory actually spanned over the course of many summers.  It all started when I was seven years old

I loved spending time with my mother's parents: Grandma and Grandpa Riske.  Summer visits were always peppered with many long talks on the front porch while consuming numerous Cheez-its and bottles of Coke-a-Cola.  Sometimes we would sit next to an oscillating fan playing rousing games of gin rummy.  But other times, if I truly begged, I was allowed to look at the picture box.

The picture box was from J. L. Hudson's.  There was always such anticipation as I slowly removed the white cardboard top with the fancy green "H".  Upon lifting the lid, I would find many photographs:  Daguerreotypes, tintypes, carte de visites and more - snapshots of my relatives.  I would pick up each picture, hold it, and ask my grandparents to share the story of the person or people in it. No matter how many times I heard the wonderful stories of years gone by, I would sit and listen for hours.  The most amazing thing was how my grandparents never ceased to tell me the stories.

I especially enjoyed making up my own names and events for the mysterious people of my past.  Oftentimes, I hoped that if I stared long enough the stoic subjects would crack a smile.  Such a different time, but such a true experience of history and family.

Every summer (and sometimes during the school year) I journeyed back in time with the picture box.  In fact, I continued the tradition throughout my childhood and into my adult years.  It has been over 10 years since my grandma passed away, and the same amount of time that I have not opened the picture box.  I suppose I cannot imagine experiencing the past without her present.  However, this year I plan to share the tradition that began 30 years ago: I am going to bring out the picture box and make summer memories with my own girls.

No comments: