Monday, May 28, 2012

Free To Be






As my oldest ladybug danced in a green and orange monster mask this morning singing and playing a ukulele, I reflected on what Memorial Day means to us.  Zoe's heartfelt composition, "Rock and Roll Monster," not only made me laugh, but it brought home the true meaning of this holiday.  Memorial Day is a day to reflect on those men and woman who have served and sacrificed so that my unique family is free to be. 

For many, Memorial Day signifies the start of summer.  As for me, I started my summer schedule of teaching on Friday.  This means: no teaching on Fridays, Saturdays and Tuesdays until after Labor Day!  It is definitely an odd sense of being - I felt oh so lazy on Saturday.  But these three months are my time to reclaim full-time Mommy status and spend time educating and loving my ladybugs.

This summer (which technically begins in our home on June 9th) my ladybugs will continue with Karate, and each day we will spend time on education.  Reading, writing and math will be part of our daily schedule; as well as science and history (museums, art, playing, etc.).  I want my ladybugs to know that what they have learned in school is important in every day life.  I will also be reviewing piano with Zoe and starting piano lessons with Evie.  I am very happy they have both decided to play.  But I realize that it isn't just desire to play - it is the discipline of practicing every day that is the key.

I also have lost a bit more weight.  I'm close to 17 pounds now - I really look forward to hitting under 200 lbs.  I went back to the doctors on Thursday.  Even with the weight loss, he increased my blood pressure meds from 10/12.5 to 20/25.  Honestly, I have noticed that I'm not as bloated with the increased diuretics.  Hate that feeling of puffiness.  I hope to be able to wear my wedding ring starting again in September.  It was September 2010 when I took the ring off, and I feel weird without it.  However, after having to have my grandmother's ring cut from my finger, I just became very wary of wearing the other one.

I have also made myself a deal: 199 or less and I will get a nose piercing.  Okay, I know, a stupid and childish thing to do, but I have wanted a nose piercing now for 10 years.  We will see if this happens; not necessarily the weight loss, but the nose piercing might have to wait.

Have a safe and thoughtful Memorial Day everyone.

No comments: