Saturday, July 28, 2012

Redecorating My Abode

...or how new curtains inspired me to spruce things up

I realize that it is only a day after my week of Pinterest Projects, however, I thought I would bring you up to speed on some of the other fun homey stuff I am accomplishing around here.  I am so busy during the school year with teaching (and this year I might have an additional gig) I have to take full advantage of the time off.

The Ladybugs were having issues going to sleep with the sunlight still shining in their bedroom windows.  So I purchased new shades that were specifically designed to block out the sun.  Of course, as with any project in this 1923 home, the window still let light shine through the sides of the shades.  So, I came up with Plan B: begging my Mom to create and sew new "side" curtains for the windows - thus eliminating the rest of the light.  And here is the finished project:


It is amazing how when something is new, everything else looks OLD.  Not just a little old either - ancient.  The whole rest of my house looked like a dilapidated mess.  My Mom also wanted to get a new quilt for the Ladybugs' bed.  After looking through countless websites, here are the results:


I also found this awesome little thing on Etsy.  It is called a Latchy Catchy, and it is intended to stop the latch from...well...latching.  It is so COOL!  When we are sneaking in or out of the room at night, we are very quite.  AND there are no smashed fingers!


Once the Ladybugs' bedroom was complete, I realized how much I hated our bathroom and my attempt to pretend the tile was not grey.  Yeah, I really tried.  But then I decided to accept the fact that we cannot afford to redo the bathroom (i.e. new tile, new floor, new positioning of the tub and toilet, etc.).  I got a new shower curtain, cabinet curtain and window curtain and then found adorable prints on esty. 


Print is from Paper Llamas: Etsy Store

Print is from Paper Llamas: Etsy Store

Print from Paper Llamas: Etsy Store
With the bathroom looking all perky - I noticed the two maps in the upstairs hallway were just not working.  For the last few years we have had maps with little feet stickers to show where Uncle Joe is in our world.  The Ladybugs LOVE this.  So instead of ripping the entire thing down and throwing it away, I simply changed the location: The Ladybug Playroom! 

Where in the World is Our Uncle Joe?
Where in the U.S. is Our Uncle Joe?
Notice the strings pointing to the cute post cards he has sent the Ladybugs?  So fun, right?  And you can kind of see a peak at the Day #1 Pinterest Project in this last pic.

Two of my other favorite things are the vinyl words I put up on a wall in our dinning room:

Vinyl decal by CountryCraftandVinyl

And a catch-all basket that is intended to have items that need to be returned to the library, or tasks that still need my attention.  It keeps everything in one spot, so that if I am looking for a task to complete I can go to the basket and look.


I am still waiting on the ladybug vinyls for the washer and dryer.  However, I will be certain to share them with you once I have applied the fun!

Thank you for reading my blog.  If you are not a friend of mine on Facebook - click on the link above!

No comments: