Monday, July 30, 2012

It is Official: I have Mommy Burnout


After reading this article last week: 10 Ways to Achieve Mommy Burnout, from the website THE POWER OF MOMS, I realized my recent mood and frustration was validated.  I cannot deny it, I have Mommy Burnout - plain and simple.  Here are the 10 ways, as listed in the article.  I have decided to comment on them - to share why I have connected so deeply with the article.

1. Neglect Your Body
Oh how I hate to admit it, but it is very true.  My body is a sloppy, floppy mess.  Sure, I'm still working on perfecting my skin regime and testing out a supplement (Biotin blog to follow) to stop my recent hair loss, but my body is still a blimp.  And, the thing is: it is depressing.  VERY depressing.

2. Starve Your Spirit
How saddened I was to read this.  However, it only reaffirms the fact that my desire to participate in HelloMornings could not be more appropriate.  I need to regain my motivation for early wake-ups, and time to myself away from the fighting and bickering of two dramatic and opinionated Ladybugs.

3. Forget Fun
To be perfectly honest, I am currently suffering from anxieties that make me very reluctant to spend time with people.  I tend to fall prey to social anxiety - which is always fun when it acts up.  I was at a graduation party on Saturday evening.  My dear friend, Jill, was celebrating her prestigious achievement of a doctorate.  I knew very few people at the party, and began to chat with another guest who came alone.  She was not friends with anyone else at the party, so we seemed to be each other's company for awhile.  I told her about how I had read an article about Mommy Burnout, and that a light bulb came on above my head as I was reading it.  She made the point of suggesting that I am probably starved for adult conversation this summer.  She is correct.  However, as a teacher of young students I don't usually have a lot of adult conversation throughout the school year either.  I suppose it has more to do with the "fun" factor and my lack of desire to have any.

4. Keep to Yourself
I think I already addressed this in the last number.

5. Practice Negative Self Talk
I have a very difficult time with this.  I always have.  Logically I am well aware that it takes 7 positive statements to combat 1 negative.  I am an interesting person I suppose.  To others I can appear VERY positive, but I have an inner dialogue that can be quite dark and quirky.  For instance, when I pass homes I always look in the yards (front and back).  If there is a lot of stuff sitting out (toys, junk, etc.) I start projecting what the inside looks like.  Or how disorganized things must be, if THAT is the external representation.  Or when we are watching an old movie, I tell Jim who is dead and who is still alive (if any).

6. Expect Perfection
I don't necessarily expect perfection when it comes to my children or husband.  However, I do like to have a clean, organized and orderly home.  I do put pressure on myself to keep the house in order, and I suppose you could say that it is unnecessary.  No one else puts this kind of pressure on me...just me.  I think it has more to do with my upbringing.  Please know that I do not BLAME my parents nor my grandparents for instilling these virtues into my life.  It is simply that my mother did it all - she kept a clean house, she made our clothing, she worked outside the home...etc.  I hold myself to those same ideals.

7. Say Yes to Everything
This is the one number on the list I can clearly say I do not do.  Okay, I might agree to a few things that I don't necessarily WANT to, but in all truthfulness I do not say yes to everything.  I was asked to be a part of the school board, I declined.  I was asked to chair a few events at our school (after I did too good of a job chairing the fall fund raiser/dinner), and I said no.  So at least I'm not victim to all of the list.  :)

8. Shun All Outside Help
I cannot say it any more clearly then Ms. Reynolds, the author of the article, "Only wimpy whiners ask for help, and no one can do it as well as you anyway."  Yeah, I have a very difficult time asking for help. I don't want to rely on others to do what I SHOULD be able to do myself.  I do find weakness in having to ask...I really do.

9. Avoid Being the Moment
I have to admit that I am trying to live in the moment.  The last two times I put the Ladybugs to bed we had deep laughter over silly stories these are wonderful moments that I will cherish forever.  Having that time with them is wonderful.  However, I don't ALWAYS live in the moment...but at least admitting I'm a control freak is a step in the right direction.

10. Miss the Big Picture Entirely
I have definitely been neglectful this summer.  Very neglectful.  I have spent more time putting out fires (fighting children) than missing the big picture of the fact that I am blessed to get to stay home EVERY day with my Ladybugs.  Not many women can say they can watch their children grow.  My oldest Ladybug has grown in her reading skills this summer - it has been amazing.  And my youngest has developed her music skills beyond what I had imagined.  So yes, there is a bigger picture here...I just have to see it.

Thanks for stopping by!  Please "like" my facebook page - the link is above.

No comments: