Saturday, July 7, 2012

Time to Redecorate

I suppose we all go through a point where our old decorating skills look tired and mediocre.  Of course that could be a direct result with the popularity of creative and organizing blogs and Pinterest.  But the truth is, reader, when we moved into our home almost 10 years ago we spent so much time painting and redoing the important tasks (like removing an electric fireplace that had a log wrapped in Christmas lights) that by the time it came to decorating I was too tired.

But over the course of the last couple of years, I have noticed my love for red in my home.  And I was thinking - maybe subconsciously it has to do with a pair of shoes:



But I digress....
Last year I spent a a month reorganizing my home (click here to see the process), but at no point did I redecorate.  In fact, I always say we "should" fix a few things up, but then it seems like the money gets allocated to another area (i.e. the kids).  Subsequently, I was the only one in the process that "finished" in 30 days.  So maybe I didn't devote enough time to each room or really immerse myself in the process itself.  I guess at this point I cannot go back, but I CAN go forward.

A few weeks ago, the girls went to Vacation Bible School, and I was privileged to have 5 mornings off from being a mom.  Technically it was only 4 days, because I taught lessons this first day.  However, it was a lovely thing I might tell you.  Maybe I should have been getting pedicures and being lazy.  But I decided that I needed to give my home a bit of a re-look.  Kind of the way you "walk in another person's shoes for the day."

I began by doing a very good purge (i.e. relocating items to better places, digging under places, etc.) and realized that with a little money I could update parts of the home that really needed it.  I have never been a person that doesn't like to purge or clean...but oftentimes I am only able to do the bare minimum and thus the big tasks are put off for another time.  After all, I do have a job besides being a mom.  So rather than focus on getting just the laundry washed, folded and put away or the dishes washed, dried and put away I began looking around at my home and really focus on what  I could change without breaking the budget.

I am still enjoying the process of searching for good deals, and making this house more "me".  I know, reader, I have a husband too.  However, I made a hasty mistake when I let him make choices on the decor 10 years ago.  He is at work all day.  I am here, even when I am working.  Thus, I should make the decisions on what would make me happy.   I also know this sounds extremely selfish, but I did let him get the couch he wanted 11 years ago (we had it before we moved in here).  I really wanted the RED one, he wanted the muted green one.  He got the green one.  Ugh.

So what exactly have I done this summer?  I spent some time redoing my music room, due to the fact we now have a drum set.  I will be donating a stereo (CD/tape/radio) to the church rummage sale, due to the fact it no longer plays recorded CDs and honestly I can just pop them into the computer anyway.  I have also been redoing the bathroom (pictures to follow), and the ladybug's bedroom is getting a redo (just simple changes, but big results).

So stay tuned!

No comments: