Sunday, October 11, 2009

Psalms 116:12

I wanted to give my thoughts on Psalms 116:12, which reads, "What shall I return to the Lord for all his bounty to me?"

I find it interesting that on stewardship Sunday we were not bombarded with the church's financial needs, nor desires for our money.  Rather it was our gifts that were requested.  What do we give someone who has given us so much?

I really believe it is not the amount you give, but the attitude in which it is given.  There is a parable the pastor brought up in the sermon today.  It is one of my VERY favorite parables; Luke 21:

"And he looked, and saw rich men putting their donations into the treasury. And he also saw a certain poor widow donating two mites. And he said Truly, I tell you, that this poor widow has cast in more than all of them: for they have all given but a portion of their great wealth, as an offering to God, while she, in her poverty, has given all that she had."

A mite is a coin, but there is its homonym: might. Therefore one could state that the widow's gift was powerful.  Are all of our gifts powerful?   And do we honestly consider what God Almighty has given us?

I find such joy in giving my time and energy to the church.  This past year has found me wanting to spend time with my church family and relishing in the gifts they return to me.  God Almighty has given me so much, more than I can possibly write here, thus I want to give back, even if it isn't possible to do so financially.

One should give generously and joyously; and never be ashamed at what "little" one can give.  So even if it is a small amount, isn't that greater than none at all?

No comments: