Friday, October 16, 2009

Secrets of Family Success - Commitment

Today's success is Commitment.

I sometimes wonder if I am too committed to projects or goals.  I jump in, over my head, quite often.  However, when it comes to my marriage I am glad that I have the strong sense of commitment.  I think it makes it SO much easier when the person you are committed to also feels the unified devotion.

I think Commitment goes hand-in-hand with The Right Priorities.  If your priorities are "right" you will put your spouse first.  Putting your partner first allow you to create a permanent union.  This security allows the other partner to flourish as an individual within the partnership.

The publication, Awake!, compares commitment to a guard rail that, "prevents your marriage from going off course."  I like what The Message says in Matthew 19:6, "Because god created this organic union of the two sexes, no one should desecrate his art by cutting them apart."

A marriage is an art of God.  I love this illustration.  In Genesis, God Almighty spoke his other creations (i.e. light, plants, water, etc.), but with Adam he formed him from the dirt of the Earth.  God formed man, and he artfully designed a union of the two sexes.

A couple years ago, an ex-boyfriend of mine came into town.  This wasn't just ANY ex-boyfriend, this was my first love and someone I had wanted to marry.  When I asked Jim what he thought of us getting together to talk and spend time with each other simply said, "Fine.  Why not?"  He cared, but he knew our commitment to each other surpassed the possibility of my straying into an adultrous situation.  Not only was I able to spend time with a dear friend from my past, but my love for my husband grew because of his devotion to me and our marriage.

I would definitely have to say Commitment is the most important "sucesses" in the list.

No comments: