Thursday, October 22, 2009

Secrets of Family Success - Respect

The 4th secret is RESPECT.  This doesn't come as a surprise to me, and I don't imagine anyone would argue this secret.

Of course many might disagree that insults, abusive speech, and sarcasm towards your spouse is NOT respecting them.  We obviously cannot agree with EVERYTHING our spouse says, after all we are individuals.  But there is a right way and a wrong way to handle disagreements.  We should treat our family members the way we want to be treated, especially the person  to whom we have committed our life.

"Stupid" is a forbidden word in our house.  I hold it up as high as other common swears.  Name calling might happen at school or out in the "world," but in our home we all treat each other with the respect and love that we all deserve.  If you can't get respect from home, where are you going to get it?!

Words are powerful.  They can be used for greatness, or horrible weapons of destruction.  In college I took a course on business edicate.  I was told that it takes 7 positives comments to erase a negative statement.  So what does this say about name calling or abusive language?  Our words can destroy others, just by stating them.  Is that truly what we desire when our anger gets the best of us? 

I have been known to say things before I think; and I hope to continue working towards a more healthy reaction to frustration and anger.

No comments: