Thursday, October 15, 2009

Secrets of Family Success - The Right Priorities

"Awake!" is one of the monthly publications Bonnie brings to our Bible studies.  Even though she dropped off both last week, I was only able to glance at the "Watchtower" and I didn't even do that much to "Awake!"  However, last night I briefly opened the publication and noticed a really cool article called, "Secrets of Family Success."  I thought I would spend the next 7 days contemplating and writing about my opinions on each success.  Today is: The Right Priorities.

What are your priorities?  Do you even know?

"Make sure of the more important things," Philippians 1:10

I know that my family comes first, but does it always come first?  I think it's a lot easier for a stay-at-home mom to say her family comes first.  It is definitely more challenging for a working dad (or mom) to state the same.  Of course the job is important...but why is he/she working?  Is it to financially support the family, or is it to make himself feel better.  Is it selfish?  Is the family an item on a "to-do" list?

I am often surprised at the relationship Jim and I have.  Not surprised in a bad sense of the word, rather surprised in our great sense of accomplishment.  I truly know we have a strong marriage, and therefore a strong commitment to family.  This doesn't mean we don't have our struggles, but when there is a strong foundation the struggles take a backseat to the important relationship that has been established.  We are able to get passed the pitfalls of life holding on to each other and the family we are continuing to nourish. 

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.  Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others."

No comments: