Sunday, August 14, 2011

Fruit of the Spirit - Joy 4

Do you have the blues?  I personally believe everyone goes through low points in their lives.  Ms. Manning suggests that only Christ can truly chase your blues away; through Joy.


Manning suggests that a sad song (secular in nature) cannot rid our hearts of blue thoughts.  I truly don't agree.  I believe in the very strong spiritual nature of music - secular just as much as sacred.  Music has a wonderful ability to lift spirits and allow our hearts to emote about whatever is hurting them.

Unlike Ms. Manning, I don't believe that a secular song cannot bring us closer to our creator.  But I do agree with her - we must press on.  We must continue the uphill climb, no matter how difficult (and it WILL be difficult) and emotionally and spiritually painful.

I'm sure we all have a mantra - something that centers us.  Ms. Manning has a poem she wrote.  I have been thinking about (meditating if you will) what centers me.  Is there a particular song that is my "theme song"?  I will get back to that at a latter date, because at this point I come up blank.

1 comment:

Fairy Tale Mama said...

I always thought of a theme song as something that makes you think, "CHARGE!" Mine has been Abba's Dancing Queen for about 15 years. It always gets me going. Raise Your Glass by Pink is a more recent one that gets me pumped. I don't think that a song has to be religious in nature to bring you back to what's important in life --- and that's joy! :-)