Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Fruit of the Spirit - Peace 2

This morning I walked the track with a friend of mine, Roger.  We grew up together, and I remember such silly stories from our childhood - when peace was just what you knew.


I recall this time, when I was probably 6 years old.  Actually my sister and I would be about the ages of my girls.  We had been playing with our friend, Roger, and he had to go home at a certain time (probably dinner).  His sister, Renee, would be coming to pick him up (he had ridden his bike over).  We didn't want Roger to have to go home.So Kelly and I came up with this great idea: make a paper Roger.  Paper Roger could go home with Renee, and Roger would stay with us.

So we traced Roger on a piece of paper (or as I remember quite a few papers taped together - badly).  We somehow stuck this paper Roger to his bike, and then left it in the driveway for Renee to find.  Needless to say, the trick did not work - but we were so confident that it would we were very focused.

What a child finds peace in seems so simple, and yet as an adult we cannot seem to think like a child to find that peace again.  Now I'm not suggesting drawing a paper person to trick someone, but what I am stating is that in that simple act of playing and imagination we were peaceful and content with our lives in this world.  There was no worry, no anxiety, no concern for "what if Renee doesn't get tricked?"  We were confident little souls on this earth: full of peace.

That is my desire: to regain that innocence and simple thoughts that don't require worries or fear.

No comments: