Friday, August 21, 2009

comment from Dorotea Pettersson

I've tried to leave a comment on your blog but it doesn't work. I liked what you wrote about Jewish literature. Being a person with a lot of knowledge in Jewish culture and especially the war it makes me happy when people want to read about it.

I spend a lot of time translating what my grandfather (on my dads side) wrote about the war. What he and my grandmother lived trough during that time. It's 800 pages in Polish so it will take me a lifetime but it is such an important legacy that I have to do it. I want my children to know where we come from and what happened to our family.

Right now I'm mostly working with the letters that they wrote to each other after the war when they understood that they were both alive. My grandfather was in Russia and my grandmother sat in the Warsaw ghetto until she was shipped to a concentration camp. I have never read anything so beautiful in my life. It's filled with life from two people that felt dead.

What people don't understand is that we that are Jewish never forget the war even if we didn't live it. It's part of us. It's in our genes. We are reminded all the time about it. My dad still doesn't tell people he´s Jewish cause it was not done when he was a kid. It was dangerous and he still thinks it is and gets mad at me for wanting to publish my grandfathers "book".

It seems like the book that you are using for your Bible study is a good one. And I like what you write about how you choose who you want to spend time with and especially for your girls. I am the same. I am strict and I know how I want my daughter to grow up. It's a little hard since her dad does not share my views but I believe that if I keep going she will learn. My husband thinks the same as me so that feels good. I think having God in mind when we take care of our children makes us more aware of how we want them to become.

Sorry for writing such a long note but reading what you write makes me think. And it feels nice to know that there are other people that see things similar to me.

Keep writing. love, dorro

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was very touched by today's post. I have experienced many friendships that came to an end and brought me alot of sadness. In hindsight it was just a natural progression. What once was such a large part of my life could no longer be. I really believe without a doubt every person comes and goes in our life for a very specific reason and purpose.
Amazing when you think about it :)

About a year ago I lost my very best friend. She did not pass away but due to some unfortunate circumstances we could no longer be friends. It was awful...the end of a relationship. It felt very much like breaking up with someone. I realize now that the "season" of our friendship had come and gone.

Thank you for yet another thought provoking post...I really enjoyed it!
Much Love,
Amanda