Sunday, August 23, 2009

pilgrimage - day #8

"As shoes for your feet put on whatever will make you ready to proclaim the gospel of peace"
Ephesians 6:15

The children's sermon today was very moving.  Our pastor brought 4 different kinds of shoes: slippers, dress pumps, work flats, and sandals.  She asked the children what kinds of activities each shoe suggested.  It was very cute the variety of answers the children gave.  Then she asked which pair of shoes would be best suited to proclaim the gospel of peace.

Zoe and her friend, Natalie, both enthusiastically suggested the dress pumps, since they were perfect for dancing or a wedding.  But the rest of the kids didn't answer, mostly because they were playing with the shoes in front of them.

The answer was simple, yet profound: all of the above.  No matter where we are (church, work, home, dancing, camping, playing, etc.) we should always proclaim the gospel of peace.

As I embark on week 2 of this pilgrimage, I am reminded that I am on a journey to be closer to Him; therefore I need to live the peace I want to proclaim and share with others.  Living my life and treating all situations as if God is a constant observer...because he is.

Yesterday, Zoe said her first swear word: stupid.  She said she was "done with her stupid lunch."  It was in response to my telling her she had to be done with lunch before she helped me bake Papa Ray's Birthday cake.  I immediately said, "what did you say?"  To which she repeated "stupid" numerous times.  I then explained to her that she needed to stop saying that word, or she would go to time out.  Then I proceded to tell her that it is a swear word, and words like that hurt God's ears.  We don't want to hurt God's ears, so we have to be careful to say things that are pleasing for Him to hear.  I told her that other people say such words, but that in our house we say and sing words that are pleasing to God.

Zoe started crying and said, "But Emma says that word in our house!"  I said that other people might use swear words, but that doesn't mean we should.

I have spent the week cognizant of my "swear words".  Trying diligently to stop myself from saying anything offensive - even spelling it.  It is such a hard thing for me to do, because I have allowed swearing to be part of my nature.  I don't swear in front of students or my children, but I let my "guard" down in the comforts of adults friends and/or loved ones.  I must continue to work on my language to live out the actions of what I spoke to Zoe: saying or singing words that pleases God's ears. 

Today's Scripture
Psalms 17:5-6 (NIV)
My steps have held to your paths;

my feet have not slipped.
I call on you, O God, for you will answer me;
give ear to me and hear my prayer.

No comments: