Saturday, August 15, 2009

my relationship with Bonnie #2

Originally written July 29th

After almost two weeks of added questions and research, Bonnie returned as promised.

At our last meeting we had discussed the Jehovah Witnesses desire not to celebrate any holiday ("Christian" or national). I completely understood the pagan roots and man's bastardizations of Christmas, Easter, etc. However, today I asked about Birthdays.

I was told that a birthday is surrounded by pagan symbols (i.e. the cake and candles). And this is true: http://www.tokenz.com/history-of-birthday-cake.html

Of course, "Witness children are not deprived of things," Bonnie claimed. I can't imagine that they would be. I truly believe that children today have too much "stuff". I am often sickened at the amount of "stuff" that is given to a child at Christmas or their Birthday. As an adult (and the parent of two small children), I really don't think a celebration should ALWAYS include gifts, even though the wise men (kings, etc.) brought gifts to Jesus. Witness children have multiple "parties" and "celebrations" throughout the year, but they don't have a special day that is "all about them." The parties include gifts for all the children. Focusing on one child takes away from Jehovah, according to them. It makes sense, but I did state that celebrating a child doesn't seem pagan to me. Celebrating them as a "child of God" once a year is important - not the gift part, just the love for the child. I think I'll ask about Baptismal celebrations. I would imagine that uplifting a child each year in celebration of their baptism would also be a "no-no". Hmph.

We also spoke about the "end times". Why? Well, because a Bible-based faith often focuses on the end...rather than the teachings. The Witnesses believe that 1914 was the start of the devils reign on Earth. That there was always bad things, but that was the point where a "shift of change" happened. World War I was a huge part of this. I do believe there is corruption in the world, but I still am having a hard time grasping that it is worse now than when the Inquisition was taking place...or when the Native Americans were being killed for the "white man" to acquire land...etc.

Anyway - we jumped around the Bible a bit. But I wanted to share the part that touched me. It is about when the disciples asked Jesus when the end of the age would be. Here is the version from the Message - Jesus is speaking, answering his disciples.

Matthew 24:32
Take a lesson from the fig tree. From the moment you notice its buds form, the merest hint of green, you know summer's just around the corner. So it is with you: When you see all these things, you know he's at the door. Don't take this lightly. I'm not just saying this for some future generation, but for all of you. This age continues until all these things take place. Sky and earth will wear out; my words won't wear out. But the exact day and hour? No one knows that, not even the heaven's angels, not even the Son. Only the Father knows.

The Witnesses believe that in 1914 (which is a number derived from a variety of Bible verses and simple math), the "generation" began. These people would be in their 90s now, so we are coming to "the end". The verse that implies "these things," is speaking about a variety of horrible things that happen to the Earth. But there will also be those that will share the message, which the Witness attribute to themselves. Here is the verses from the Message - Jesus is speaking:

Matthew 24:13
Staying with it - that's what God requires. Stay with it to the end. You won't be sorry, and you'll be saved. All during this time, the good news - the Message of the kingdom - will be preached all over the world, a witness staked out in every country. And then the end will come.

So there ya have it - my latest visit with my new friend, Bonnie. Hope this kept your interest...

No comments: