Wednesday, August 19, 2009

my relationship with Bonnie #4

Today was my 4th visit with Bonnie, and we finally got to the end of Chapter 9 in "What Does the Bible Really Teach?" To be honest (and I told her this), I need to move to a different chapter. I was glad to finish it up today. Too much sadness in this particular chapter - of course it is based on the "end days" scripture. We start at the beginning next week - Chapter 1: "What is the Truth About God?"

One thing I've learned by studying with Bonnie, is that there are other books in the Bible that speak of the end times. You'd think after reading the Bible from cover to cover last year I would remember this. But I think I was reading it to READ it; now I'm reading to UNDERSTAND the Word.

Daniel is one book that falls into the above category. The following is a particularly poignant passage:

Daniel 12:9-10 (The Message)
"'Go on about your business, Daniel, he said. 'The message is confidential and under lock and key until the end, until things are to be wrapped up. The populace will be washed clean and made like new. But the wicked will just keep on being wicked, without a clue about what is happening. Those who live wisely and well will understand what's going on.'

I've often thought that ignorance is a blissful place to be. Observing those that have blind faith; without question; without hesitation. I've NEVER been that person.

I have always questioned people. Especially those of faith. I was kicked out of catechism twice for my inability to just believe the answers given by the minister. If they had given scripture to back up the beliefs I probably would have shut up. But the beliefs were man-invented. And reluctantly, at the demand of my parents, I wrote the apologetic papers required for my re-admittance into the program. Yes, when I say I was kicked out of catechism, I wasn't joking.

Many heads of church would rather a question be ignored. And it wasn't that I didn't want to be Christian that I asked these questions. I was asking WHY we believe what we believe. The doctrine, the orthodoxy, the laws: all man-made. God didn't say these things...and so far I haven't found a Bible that backs up some of the crazy things I was told were "truths". For example: I was kicked out because I didn't buy into the idea that unbaptized babies (or children) went to hell when they died. I couldn't grasp such a horrific idea. Was this "god" of ours a loving one...or a vengeful one? And there wasn't even baptism in the Old Testament...so what about that?!

My favorite verse from today addresses my concern from years ago:

1 Corinthians 7:13-14 (The Message)
So this is what you must do. If you are a man with a wife who is not a believer but who still wants to live with you, hold on to her. If you are a woman with a husband who is not a believer but he wants to live with you, hold on to him. The unbelieving husband share to an extent in the holiness of his wife, and the unbelieving wife is likewise is likewise touched by the holiness of her husband. Otherwise, your children would be left out; as it is, they are also included in the spiritual purposes of God.

Children are holy! See! I wish the pastor who kicked me out of class was still alive. I would send him this scripture today.

And thus ends my study session this week.

No comments: