Friday, August 28, 2009

pilgrimage - day #13

symbols...

As I start sipping my third cup of coffee this morning, I am juggling plenty of ideas in my head; ranging from spirituality to this unseasonal weather, to Zoe's first day of preschool in less than 2 weeks, and much more.  Jim worked late yesterday, and didn't come home until after 11pm.  Unfortunately there was no over time for his efforts, but at least he has a job (a steady one) in this unforgiving economic time.  However, I stayed up with him and my lack of sleep is definitely knocking me down this morning.

Today the author of "Pilgrimage" speaks about a symbol to mark her pilgrimage.  At this point I have determined I'd like to make or receive a rosary.  Jim suggested asking his mother (she is Catholic) for a rosary as a Christmas gift.  I will probably take him up on this, as I haven't really determined what I need/want this year.  So I suppose the rosary could be a symbolic remembrance of this spiritual journey.  However, I am not entirely certain at this point if I can chose a symbol of a journey I feel I just started. 

I have remembrances of my life.  I have collected pictures, books, awards, and other small personal relics of my past.  I have two places I store these remembrances - my grandmother's hope chest, and a storage table in my living room that I bought 10 years ago.  Thinking about the items I've stored bring back a rush of memories.  Whether the memory is a person I've known, or a place I've been they are all warm and inviting.  The author suggests remembering the whimsical moments of life.  But I don't think all memories I've stored are whimsical in nature.  And for me that is okay. 

For instance: I want to remember my grandmother's life.  I have her ring, and a plant from her funeral.  But I also have the prayer card from her funeral, and I kept that to remind me that we are all mortal.  Life is precious, and we must embrace every moment we have together in this place.  Are there whimsical memories of her life intertwining mine?  Of course, but I would say there are deeper memories when I think of her.

I do hope that when the pilgrimage portion of my spiritual journey is completed, I will be able to chose a symbol that brings back warm and inviting memories.  I believe it is a bit early to determine what that symbol is.

Today's Scripture:
Pslams 132:14-18 (Message)
This will always be my home; 
this is what I want, and I'm here for good. 
I'll shower blessings on the pilgrims who come here, 
and give supper to those who arrive hungry; 
I'll dress my priests in salvation clothes; 
the holy people will sing their hearts out!
Oh, I'll make the place radiant for David!
I'll fill it with light for my anointed!
I'll dress his enemies in dirty rags, 
but I'll make his crown sparkle with splendor.

No comments: