Monday, August 17, 2009

pilgrimage - day #2

Reading for today:

Psalms 34:11-14 (The Message)
Come, children, listen closely
I'll give you a lesson in God worship.
Who out there has a lust for life?
Can't wait each day to come upon beauty?
Guard your tongue from profanity,
and no my lying through your teeth.
Turn your back on sin; do something good
Embrace peace- don't let it get away!


I think the most interesting comment I've heard and read lately (via Facebook or the Internet) has been "drama-free." There seems to be a lot of people desiring to be "drama-free". In fact, I think my favorite status message was, "why does drama follow me wherever I go?"

At first this desire would seem to be a substantiated one. I'm not sure if there is anyone out there that desires to live in a constant dramatic and emotional roller coaster. Of course, some would love to be in a drama - or stage production...but that's a different kind of drama. I believe that drama isn't a person, so therefore it doesn't "seek" out certain people. There are always dramatic occurrences to be acknowledged, but I think it has more to do with how the person reacts to life - the perception of events and people.

Here's an example:
This morning I woke up (a bit earlier than I had hoped), and while doing the morning chores (i.e. dishes out of dishwasher, making coffee, etc.) I noticed a bunch of cat puke on the carpet and chair in the basement. Then while getting myself ready for the day (shower, etc.), Zoe wanted me to help her find clothes to wear. When I told her I would help in a few minutes, she starting contorting herself on the floor and moaning about how she needed help - her diva behavior. Then our 10am play-date was canceled. So I allowed the girls to pick a "craft" to do, and Zoe chose glitter glues. Glitter is my most hated craft item. Lots of fun glitter clean up later I finally was able to sit down and read my morning email. Phew!

How does the proceeding paragraph sound? Overwhelming? Negative maybe? The truth is: every morning, in my house, there is puke or a cat mess to clean. Every day includes many emotional responses to what I state (which is all normal when children are testing boundaries). And life doesn't always go smoothly; you must be flexible - not having the play date was really okay in my book!

Therefore, I truly believe it is how you spin things that makes a situation dramatic or not.

Some people remind me of the boy who cried wolf. Always having a problem. Nothing is just "normal" everyday stuff. Therefore others begin to label these people dramatic. So when something really horrible happens people start thinking, "ugh...another drama thing."

I can't say that I haven't lived in a constant state of drama. But since I have taken a step back and truly viewed my life, I realize I don't have the patience for dramatic life. I have pulled away from friendships, in the last year, that drain me of my positive energy and tend to suck me into a dramatic situation. It's hard to stay out of problems, especially when you care about the people involved. But it is so much healthier for myself, and my family, to avoid situations that would start the downward spiral of drama.

Another point in the verse for today was: profanity. I used to swear like a sailor. Teaching helped me stop the constant language that wasn't pleasant. However, being a mom and spelling words (like stupid, dick, etc.) has begun to get old. So I think I am going to make a HUGE effort and stop all swearing (verbal or non-verbal) during this Bible study. Hopefully it will permanently stay once the study is over. After all, 10 years ago I gave up soda pop for Lent and I have only had it a few times since (and only when I was sick or pregnant). I don't even like the flavor of pop. So hopefully I won't like the flavor of swear words after 40 days!

No comments: