Saturday, August 29, 2009

pilgrimage - day #14

When I hear the word, labyrinth, I'm immediately transported to the 1986 Jim Henson movie.  However, upon further investigation, a labyrinth isn't exactly a dark cave/maze full of twists and turns that you have to complete in 13 hours.  My recollection of childhood movies is pretty basic, so I don't recall if the labyrinth was really a spiritual journey, but I'm thinking no.

When I searched on pilgrimages of the Middle Ages (as suggested by the Pilgrimage author), I stumbled upon this Awakenings website.  I always thought a labyrinth was an underground maze.  But I am wrong.  A maze is a puzzel, with one way in and another way out.  A labyrinth is uni-circular.  The way in is the way out.  A labyrinth is a way for a person to repent or journey to the "center" of themselves.  What a fantastic concept - I love the idea!  I believe my spiritual journey is on a path towards the center of myself...the central purpose.  As stated before, I'm not on a journey to a physical location, but rather a spiritual location deep within.

 The Chartres Labyrinth

In the "Pilgrimage", the author writes about those in her pilgrimage group, "Each pilgrim on this journey is at a different place on the discipleship journey, just as each is at a different place on this labyrinth.  Not further ahead or lagging behind, not higher or lower, not faster or slower, just different."

I think there is something to be said about humility.  I have noticed myself sharing parts of my journey with those that want to listen.  It's not a case of trying to "convert" others to my beliefs, but more that I want others to be a part of my spiritual journey.  This journey has been so fascinating, and I want others to know my fulfillment.  That is why I am blogging about this.  I am doing a daily journal to share with those that I love and care about.  I don't believe I'm on this journey alone, rather that I am on a journey and those I encounter are guide posts along the way.

Today's scriptures:
Psalms 10:17-18 (NIV)
You hear, O Lord, the desire of the afflicted; 
you encourage them, and you listen to their cry, 
defending the fatherless and the oppressed, 
in order that man, you is of the earth, 
may terify no more.

No comments: