Wednesday, August 26, 2009

pilgrimage - day #11

"The truly wise know that God lives within one's self"
 - Pilgrimage, Brown

On day 11, I have experienced the first deep statement along the author's helpful journey.

"While the faithful people of every tradition go on their pilgrimages with devotion and intense fervor, the saintly ones know that unless God is to be found within their own experience, such pilgrimage is useless." - Franciscan Brother Ramon

One phrase I used to laugh at is, "I found Jesus."  I thought, where was he hiding?  And maybe those that have this epiphany actually "see" Jesus.  I would hope that trying to "find" Jesus would include a personal journey into the depths of one's heart and soul.  On a deeper level the statement, "Finding Jesus" means something more.  Rather than finding him in a physical sense, we should look to be more like him.  To find him within ourselves.

Today's Scripture
Psalms 73:25-28
You're all I want in heaven!
You're all I want on earth!
When my skin sags and my bones get brittle, 
God is rock-firm and faithful.
Look!  Those who left you are falling apart!
Deserters, they'll never be heard from again.
But I'm in the very presence of God - 
oh, how refreshing it is!
I've made Lord God my home, 
God, I'm telling the world what you do!

No comments: