Thursday, August 20, 2009

jewish literature

When I was growing up I knew very little about other faiths. In fact, I knew little about anything that wasn't Christian; and mostly Lutheran-based Christianity. When I took Catechism at church (yes the ones I got kicked out of), we briefly discussed other Christian faiths (mostly Catholic). I remember touching on Jewish and Islam as well.

My public school education was fair. I won't say good. I suppose I give it a B- overall. I learned how to write fantastic papers and I was a great reader. Of course I'm not sure who taught me more - my family or the school system. However, the one are I got a sub-par education was history. I was lucky enough to have a History/Geography teacher as a father. He was horrified at many of the history teachers, and complained numerous times. However, the truth is: I did not get the best education when it came to history.

This is rather ironic, since my very favorite thing to read is historical books - fact or fiction in nature. I love learning about Great Britain - especially the Tudor family. I have also always had an affinity for the American Civil War and WWII. Even though we were taught about wars in school, it was always from the side of the winner. I grew up as an American in a northern state, so "we" won the American Revolutionary War as well as the Civil War. Also as an American, we could claim "winner" to both world wars. Pretty special, eh?

Did I learn about the losers? I suppose. But I really didn't get a good education on the real reasons wars were started, nor did I really understand the dramatic effect wars had on society. When I say "society" I mean the human race, not just the Michiganders teaching my history classes.

Last year I read a fabulous graphic novel called, "Maus". I'm not a comic book person, but when Jim checked out the novel from our library I was compelled to at least crack the cover. I found myself completely engulfed with the text and the story. I had never heard about this part of WWII before. Yes, I knew about the concentration camps, but when a friend was getting a doctorate in the subject I was completely dumbfounded. Why would someone want to do research in the Jewish holocaust?

I have since read a few novels based on the Jewish people during that horrific time period in history. If you are interested, I can give you a few great suggestions. Jim and I both believe that "Maus" should be a required reading for high school seniors, and both our girls will read it when they are "ready".

I just finished reading, "Tevye's Grandchildren," (yes the Tevye from that Fiddler on the Roof was based) which is a book about a woman's desire to rediscover her Jewish heritage. It is a pilgrimage for her, and even though I wasn't captivated by her writing style (very dry), I was captivated by further knowledge about the Jewish people. She made the argument that assimilation has destroyed the Jewish people. I must agree. As a "mutt" myself, I have recently realized all the language and traditions that were left in the "old country" when my ancestors came to America. My great-grandparents told my maternal grandparents that "we are Americans," rather than Germans or Swedes. My grandparents never learned the language of their heritage, because it wasn't spoke in the home. Since I teach Muslim children, I am reminded that they take Arabic classes to continue the traditions of their ancestors. In some ways I feel cheated.

In "Tevye's Grandchildren," the author writes, "Modernity is not simply a matter of education and income, skills and acquisitions, mobility and choice. It is also about how we think about ourselves in the world, the history we allow in."

I want to let in history - but I wonder how much truth of history is left to let in?

No comments: