Saturday, August 15, 2009

My relationship with Bonnie

Originally written July 17th.

A month ago two Jehova's Witnesses came to the door. They had a flier for the big annual convention in Toledo, OH. I told Jim I was disappointed that I didn't get my Watch Tower for the year. I rather enjoy the articles and the viewpoints, albeit different from my own.

Then 3 weeks ago another group came to my door with the Watch Tower. One of the two was Bonnie. She said she'd be back in a few weeks to talk about the Watch Tower. I said, "sure"!

I read through it - glanced more like it - and sure enough last Friday there was a knock at the door. Bonnie and another lady was there with a copy of "What Does the Bible Really Teach?" I had read about this book in the Watch Tower and I was curious what the Witnesses believed. After all, I am always looking for information - I'm an information junkie. I research things WAY TOO DEEP sometimes. So I was elated to get my copy.

I began skimming and had questions for her visit this morning. She truly is a Christian woman in every sense of the word. She is a kind, caring, and knowledgeable woman.

In my desire to become closer to God, I am finding our conversations extremely inspiring. She is so dedicated to her views. That is really admiring to me. And for every question that I asked (both women were extremely surprised at the level of depth I was interested in going), Bonnie had an answer.

Many of the views of the Jehovah Witnesses are plausible. After all, the early Catholic church did create a lot of the "traditions" we Christian's hold dear to our hearts (Christmas on the 25th, Easter Sunday, the Trinity, etc.). It's rather refreshing to hear a few of my questions having different answers than the ones that are beat in "your dear little heads" from birth.

We are discussing "the End Times" next Friday. Believe it or not, I'm looking forward to our next discussion group. Not because I feel that she will convince me or influence me to take on her faith (i.e. join a Jehovah Witness church), but because I'm starving for intellectual conversation. Staying at home with a 2 and 4 year old isn't the most stimulating conversation...

So I plan on continuing this note on a weekly basis, as I develop a friendship with Bonnie. I will post my questions and her responses. Plus I will even comment or write the Bible verses we discussed in depth. My favorite one from today was Proverbs 8:22. She said Jesus was saying this (my version is from "the Message) and would explain how Jesus was not God Almighty (Jehovah):

God sovereignly made me - the first, the basic-
before he did anything else
I was brought into being a long time ago,
well before Earth got its start.
I arrived on the scene before Ocean,
yes, even before Springs and Rivers and Lakes.
Before Mountains were sculpted and Hills took shape,
I was already there, newborn;
Long before God stretched out Earth's Horizons,
and tended to the minute details of Soil and Weather,
I was there.

No comments: