Thursday, August 27, 2009

pilgrimage - day #12

"The Lord Bless you and keep you; 
the Lord make his face shine upon you
and be gracious to you; 
the Lord turn his face toward you
and give you peace." (Numbers 6:24-26 NIV)

When I attended the Lutheran church, we always ended the service this way - the benediction.  The pastor would speak these words, and it was such a lovely way to end the service.  Then he would say, "Go in peace, serve the Lord!"  And the congregation would reply, "Thanks be to God!"

When we started attending our current church, we would always sing, "Let there be Peace on Earth."  I have always loved that song, and leaving with peace on our minds was so important as we left the conforts of the church walls.

Today's suggestion is to get a blessing for your journey.  I'm not looking for a blessing; nor am I looking for permission from others.  This journey is personal for me...and even though I don't want to offend anyone, I also don't really care if everyone agrees with my path of enlightenment.  Maybe when I get to the end, I will believe it was a disappointment.  However, I have already uncovered elements about myself that I didn't already know.  So even if I ended the journey today, I would be satisfied with the outcome.  However, I am still thirsty for more - so my spiritual journey continues - with or without a blessing.

Another activity suggests making a list of blessing from the last day, week, month or year.  Let me just list a few from the last week or so:

*Being told that I have two options to fix the pluming situation in the basement...both require the same services (i.e. tearing up the floor), but one is more money than the other.  At least I have an option.

*Getting the Sunday School curriculum finished, teachers volunteered and other church stuff accomplished before Zoe starts preschool.

*Having daily moments to focus on the Bible and my spiritual journey.

*Having great friends that prove again and again their love for me and my family.

*Having two healthy and smart girls.  Zoe played a counting syllable game yesterday, and she was so good at it!

*Having a reliable "gutt" that is helping me "weed" out those that drain me of my strength and passion.

Today's Scripture:
Pslams 67:1-7
NIV
(From the director of music. with stringed instruments.  A psalm. A song.)
May God be gracious to us, and bless us
and make his face shine upon us, 
that your ways may be known on earth, 
your salvation among all nations. 
May the peoples praise you, O God; 
may all the peoples praise you.
May the nations be glad and sing for joy, 
for you rule the peoples justly
and guide the nations of the earth. 
May the peoples praise you, O God; 
may all the peoples praise you.
Then the land will yield its harvest, 
and God, our God, will bless us. 
God will bless us, 
and all the ends of the earth will fear him.

No comments: