Wednesday, September 16, 2009

my relationship with Bonnie #8

It's always a pleasure to see Bonnie, today was no exception.

She always has such great verses to share with me, which are welcome deviations from the book, "What Does the Bible Really Teach?" 

We spoke a bit about death today.  I've never been one to be confident about a literal heaven.  I've internally debated about reincarnation, but I actually am disturbed by the idea that we've been here before and yet we don't remember our other lives.  I've even had a past life regression, and I still don't like the idea of getting born again into a new body.  I'm sure there are some that would like to live another life - another family, different experiences.  But not me.  I want to remember everything I've experienced in this life.  I don't want to forget.

The Jehovah Witnesses believe that death is a deep sleep.  Then on resurrection day Jehovah will raise us as we were in our early 20s.  He knows our DNA, just like he knows the names of all the stars in the sky.  The judgment will come later.  Bonnie pointed out some verses that illustrate this:

John 5:28-29
     Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice and come out - those who have done good will rise to live, and those who have done evil will rise to be condemned.

John 11:11- 15; 21 - 24
The Death of Lazarus
     After he had said this, he went on to tell them, "Our friend, Lazarus has fallen asleep; but I am going there to wake him up."
     His disciples replied, "Lord, if he sleeps, he will get better."  Jesus had been speaking of his death, but his disciples thought he meant natural sleep.
     So then he told them plainly, "Lazarus is dead, and for your sake I am glad I was not that, so that you may believe.  But let us go to him."
     "Lord," Martha said to Jesus, "if you had been here, my brother would not have died. But i know that even now God will give you whatever you ask."
     Jesus said to her, "Your brother will rise again."
     Martha answered, "I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day."

It continues and Jesus resurrects Lazarus from the dead.  But the point is, we aren't going to heaven or hell or purgatory.  We are in a deep sleep, and one day we will be able to live in a "new system" in a perfect world.  This is the thoughts of the Witnesses. 

I don't know what I believe at this point.  I grew up with this image of God sitting on a cloud.  Jesus was sitting on his right hand, and the sun was shining all around.  As I grew, I knew God didn't sit on a cloud.  I've been in a plane, it's not possible.  But is there another location that we will travel - our spirits perhaps?  Or is that all man made myth to give us comfort.

Heaven is in the Bible, but there is no proof that a human will go there.  Jesus goes to heaven to be with his father, but he is a heavenly being - a god-man.

In Ecclesiastes 9:5 - 6 we are told of a common destiny for all:
     For the living know that they will die,
but the dead know nothing;
they have no further reward,
and even the memory of them is forgotten.
     Their love, their hate
and their jealousy have long since vanished;
never again will they have a part
in anything that happens under the sun.

I suppose the truth will not be shown until I die, but I do wish I had blind faith.  That I didn't question what really happens.  Believing in the unseen is so hard for me.  It wasn't hard as a child, so I'm hoping to return to that faith, confidence, and belief.

No comments: