Saturday, September 12, 2009

pilgrimage - day #28

empty my soul to make room for grace...


The theological definition of grace:

a. the freely given, unmerited favor and love of God.
b. the influence or spirit of God operating in humans to regenerate or strengthn them.
c. a virtue or excellence of divine origin: The Christian graces.
d. Also called state of grace - the condition of being in God's favor or one of the elect.

My soul has experienced a very emotional week.  Jim has been working late, Zoe started preschool, and Zoe has been experiencing constipation issues.  All of these rolled together and sprinkled with a bit of financial strain, religious questions, and daily life has been my last week in a nutshell.  I know that my soul can become overwhelmed at times, and I'd like to empty it and ask grace to take the emptiness.  Filling my soul with God's grace is a new concept for me, so this might require a bit of practice.

This journey is not about regaining my "youth" like the author of "Pilgrimage."  My journey is about self-discovery.  Discovering that I need to invite His grace to replace the stress is something I have discovered.  My Zoe, the "delivered" can maybe point me in that direction.  She has such a strong love of God; and it is through her that I find my humblest moments with Him.  Turning my "mourning into dancing."

Today's Scriptures
Psalms 30:8-12 (Hebrew)
To you, O Lord, I cried, 
and to the Lord I made supplication:
"What prifit is there in my death, 
if I go down to the Pit?
Will the dust praise you?
Will it tell of your faithfulness?
Hear, O Lord, and be gracious to me!
O Lord, be my helper!"
You have turned my mourning into dancing; 
you have taken off my sackcloth
and clothed me with joy, 
so that my soul may praise you and not be silent.
O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever.

No comments: