Monday, September 7, 2009

pilgrimage - day #23

daily devotions

I suppose that at this point (day #23) I am far enough in this pilgrimage to stop (or turn around).  A 40-day daily devotional really isn't that long to spend focused on God.  In fact, I plan on continuing the daily readings long after this pilgrimage is over.  I was telling my friend, Amanda, that I know why the "Pilgrimage" book was on sale for under $4.  I find myself unable to like the author, Patricia D. Brown.  Ms. Brown attempts to appear modest and humble in her journey; but I find myself annoyed with her daily emphasis on her devotions, abilities and progress on this journey. 

I understand that journeys can be any length of time.  Ms. Brown has set 40 days to complete hers.  In the preface she writes that she already took her first "literal" pilgrimage to France during the 50 days between Easter and Pentacost.  In "Pilgrimage", she travels back to France for the physical part of the journey.  There are 3 parts to the book: Preparing for the Pilgrimage, Pilgrim on the Way, and Home is the Journey.  The actual "departure" from home is only a short time in her journey.  Obviously it is very difficult to leave one's home for longer than a couple weeks.  I decided to have my pilgrimage at home.  However, location isn't the problem; I find it hard to connect with her on a spiritual level.  Yes, there have been moments in this journey that I've appreciated the questions Ms. Brown has provoked, but more than often I find her to be rather annoying in her quest to find a blessing.  A blessing was her motivation for the pilgrimage.  I feel that even with Ms. Brown's thought provoking ideas, she come across as arrogant and belittling to her reader.  Of course for under $4, what could one expect?!

Each day the reader is given a devotional and questions to evoke deep thought.  Usually I am compelled to respond to her questions, sometimes I'm inspired by a daily occurrence, but today neither prove interesting.  So I will continue thoughts on another devotion.

I am very interested in taking a pilgrimage to a labyrinth some day.  I was very fascinated with what I learned about their origins and the true harmony of walking inward and, thus, walking outward and toward a more focused and deep communion with God.  I don't believe traveling to a different location would have the same affect on me spiritually.  I wouldn't care if the labyrinth was in England or in France or another European county.  I would just like to walk in the footsteps of those that came thousands of years before me.

Today's Scriptures
Psalms 24:3-6 (The Message)
Who can climb Mount God?
Who can scale the holy north-face?
Only the clean-handed,
only the pure-hearted; 
Men who won't cheat, 
women who won't seduce.
God is at their side; 
with God's help they make it.
This, Jacob, is what happens
to God-seekers, God-questers.

No comments: