Thursday, September 3, 2009

pilgrimage - day #19

the power of prayer...

Whether common or uncommon to others, traditional prayer is not part of my daily routine.  When eating a large meal with friends and/or family we will bow our heads, or when I am worshiping at church I participate in the congregational prayers.  But I rarely find myself in traditional prayer - an "Our Father," etc.  This might be why I desire to have a rosary - encouragement to practice in traditional daily prayers.

However, I have what I consider an almost consistent internal dialogue with God.  I ask for help when I'm confused, or need the correct words to say or write.  I also talk through things with Him.  If I have a problem or I am trying to "work through" a situation that left me unnerved, I have an internal dialogue with Him.  The voice I hear is mine, not some powerful, baritone vocals vibrating through my brain.  Some of the time I speak aloud; and some of the time I sing my emotions or the song that is on my mind at that particular time.

I realize that this form of prayer might not seem like prayer at all; but I love the personal relationship I keep and desire with God.  I would rather have him be an attainable source of guidance, than this distant diety located in the perverbial heavens.

Maybe some would say I am nuts, since "I" answer "myself" back.  But it's not like I'm having a common dialog like, "Hi.  How are you?"  "Fine, thank you."  The dialogues I have with God are more like feelings rather than actual conversations.  Of course, I suppose that some might still think this relationship is delusional.  I guess at this point in my live I'm well aware that I'm nuts; so I'm content with my delusions.

An acquaintance of mine has said, "I prayed to God asking for imput on (insert whatever desired here), and He spoke to me saying, "enter advice from heaven here." The information from God was always lengthy and often referenced Bible verses.  This acquaintance used to have a blog where he wrote these divine statements spooken to him.  He had quite the following - many people looking to him as their link to God's personal words.  This aqaintance also made a point to tell others they might not be praying the "right way".  If God wasn't answering your prayers, you MUST be doing it wrong.

I come back to a verse from yesterday's blog - 2 Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness.

I think in our society today we are so used to instant gratification, we don't really let Him take His time.  And I also think that the answer to our prayer might not always be what we want to hear.  That doesn't mean He didn't answer.

Is there REALLY a RIGHT way to pray?  I don't think so.  I think you just need to speak - for God is always listening.  I don't believe that God requires specific ways of prayer; I think that He is simply glad to know that we recognize he hears our deepest thoughts.  Once we lift our hearts to Him we need to be patient.  Hmm...another one of my faults. 

Today's Scriptures
Psalms 25:4-7 (The Message)
Show me how you work, God; 
School me in your ways.
Take me by the hand; 
Lead me down the path of truth.
Your are my Savior, aren't you?
Mark the milestones of your mercy and love, God; 

Rebuild the ancient landmarks!
Forget that I sowed wild oats; 
Mark me with your sign of love.
Plan only the best for me, God!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Prayer in your heart goes a long way. As long as we remeber to invite Him in our daily life we are fine.

dorro