Friday, September 18, 2009

pilgrimage - day #34

breaking away from American culture...

In the last week I read an amazing book, "Ishmael."  Without giving away the ending, I will say that the concepts and ideas presented in the book gave me so much to think about.  We need to belong to the world, instead of trying to own the world.  We are not God Almighty, nor are we truly able to control life...even if at times it feels possible.

We have become a society of impatient, attention deficit, entertainment seekers.  We can't wait to have our friend or colleague return home or to the office, so we call their cell phone.  When we get the voicemail we become irritated.  Where is our instant result?  The Internet is a fabulous tool - instantaneous answers to most any question you could ask.  But when the Google search returns a less than satisfactory result, what is our response?  We are annoyed!  Why isn't there a result with the exact answer to my exact question, dammit?

When Bonnie was over on Wednesday I spoke to her about my dislike of the new mega churches with worship bands and Powepoint presentations.  Yes, they are able to appeal to many young people.  They can say that they have a huge following.  However, is the congregation following God or are they simply there for Sunday morning entertainment?  2 Timothy 4:3 says, "For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine.  Instead, to suit their own desire, they will gather around them a great number of teacher to say what their itching ears want to hear.  They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths."

There are those looking for "spiritual junk food," hoping to hear the exact answer of their desires.  Am I that shallow?  Am I looking for a faith that fits my lifestyle, or am I willing to change my lifestyle to fit the true faith?

Most Bible-based Christian faiths are against abortion, homosexuality, and tattooing.  I have 4 tattoos (to become 5 tomorrow), and I don't have problems with abortion nor homosexuality.  I don't feel it is my place to judge what is right and what is wrong.  But am I putting myself in a situation that is less than "true"?

Today's Scripture
Pslams 63: 1-4 (The Message)
God - you're my God!
I can't get enough of you!
I've worked up such a hunger and thirst for God, 
traveling across dry and weary deserts.
So here I am in the place of worship, eyes open, 
drinking in your strength and glory.
In your generous love I am really living at last!
My lips brim praises like fountains.
I bless you every time I take a breath; 
My arms wave like banners of praise to you.

No comments: