Wednesday, September 16, 2009

pilgrimage - day #32

"For where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there among them." (Matthew 18:20)

It's interesting how many people will say they are spiritual, but not religious.  I imagine a lot of Christian adults will say they are Christian but don't go to church.  Contemporary religion seems to have become something to avoid - "those guys over there".  I truly believe people would rather take a "pass" on the "organized" part of the religion definition.  The following is from Wikipedia:

A religion is an organized approach to human spirituality which usually encompasses a set of narratives, symbols, beliefs and practices, often with a supernatural or transcendent quality, that give meaning to the practitioner's experiences of life through reference to a higher power, God or gods, or ultimate truth. It may be expressed through prayer, ritual, meditation, music and art, among other things. It may focus on specific supernatural, metaphysical, and moral claims about reality (the cosmos and human nature) which may yield a set of religious laws, ethics, and a particular lifestyle. Religion also encompasses ancestral or cultural traditions, writings, history, and mythology, as well as personal faith and religious experience.

I don't think I could disregard my religious background or beliefs, as I continue on this spiritual journey.  I am more interested in experiencing a variety of religions, and ultimately finding my own results.  I don't care if the results equate into a specific religion, or if the results only place me on another path.  My desire is the process of the journey, not perfecting the end result.  I don't have an end date in mind, nor do I care if it takes years to complete.  So I must continue on the path with hope that my experiences will prove spiritually and religiously beneficial.

I love the church my family attends.  I participate in the Board of Christian Education, serve as the Sunday School Superintendent, teach Sunday School and represent the church as an association member in the Division of Congregational Life.  None of these activities are done by obligation, rather I want to serve my congregational home - my second family.

Jim recently sent his paperwork into the state to incorporate his ministry.  He did this in order to be able to provide legal services for our friends' wedding next spring.  My mother was rather shocked and appalled at how easy it was to say you had a church.  But the definition from Jesus was very simple - and who are we to question Jesus?


Today's Scriptures
Pslams 139: 7-12
Is there anyplace I can go to avoid your Spirit?
to be out of your sight?
If I climb to the sky, you're there!
If I go underground, you're there!
If I flew on morning's wings
to the far wester horizon, 
You'd find me in a minute - 
you're already there waiting!
Then I said to myself, "Oh, he even sees me in 
the dark!
At night I'm immersed in the light!"
It's a fact: darkness isn't dark to you; 
night and day, darkness and light, they're
all the same to you.

No comments: