Sunday, September 6, 2009

pilgrimage - day #22

Why have I set out on a pilgrimage?

This is the question the author of "Pilgrimage" posts to ponder today.  Maybe it's because at day #22 the reader may have changed their journey's purpose, but I find it to be a rather odd question at this point in the process.

As mentioned before, I'm on a pilgrimage to become closer to God; to strengthen my personal relationship with him.  This has been my intent since inviting Bonnie into my home many weeks ago.  I'm not hoping to reach a special location (like the author), nor am I on this journey for a global reason (like the Peace Pilgrim described by the author).  I suppose one could say I'm on this journey for selfish reasons, as described above.  However, I wanted to take a spiritual journey for more than myself: for my children and their spiritual future.

During her pilgrimage, the author meets another pilgrim walking the ancient route to Santiago, Spain.  He is walking; she is riding in a car.  At this point the author feels like an impostor when calling herself a pilgrim; and she wishes she was also walking the ancient route with this true pilgrim.  After sharing her emotions with the pilgrim, he replies, "...pilgrimage is not about how one gets there.  It's about an attitude of openness to the Spirit.  Pilgrimage is what happens when one waits - with open heart and mind - for God."

Ah, back to that unforgiving virtue: Patience.  Such a hard concept to employ, but one we all should invite into our lives.  It seems that everyone is looking for "something" to happen - their own HUGE epiphany of sorts - and no one has the time to wait for it to happen.  As the "true pilgrim" suggests, it's in the waiting when the pilgrimage occurs.  Definitely something to ponder today and the remainder of the pilgrimage journey.

Today's Scripture
Psalms 61:1-4 (NIV)
Hear my cry, O God; 
listen to my prayer.
From the ends of the earth I call to you, 
I call as my heart grows faint; 
lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
For you have been my refuge
a strong tower against the foe.
I long to dwell in your tent forever
and take refuge in the shelter of your wings.

No comments: