Thursday, September 17, 2009

Quotes from Ishmael

I wanted to share some of my favorite quotes from Daniel Quinn's book, "Ishmael."  I will be sharing more thoughts from this book at a later date.

"Five severed fingers do not make a hand." page 12

"Man is not alone on this planet.  He is part of a community, upon which he depends absolutely." page 99

"Trial and error isn't a bad way to learn how to build an aircraft, but it can be a disastrous way to learn how to build a civilization."  page 110

"I had to face it: I didn't just want a teacher - I wanted a teacher for life."  page 122

"The world was not made for any one species." page 145

"The danger is not that he would gain our knowledge but rather that he might imagine that he gained it." page 162

"Adam wasn't the progenitor of our race, he was the progenitor of our culture."  page 184

"You should trust yourselves with your lives lives.  That's the human way to live."  page 225

"The Takers are those who know good and evil, and the Leavers are..."  The Leavers are those who live in the hands of the gods." page 229

"The premise of the Taker story is the world belongs to man...The premise of the Leaver story is man belongs to the world." page 239

"You can't change these things with laws.  You must change people's minds."  page 249

3 comments:

Kim said...

I just found your blog while doing a search for quotes from the book Ishmael. I love this book and his others and have read it numerous times. In fact I was just about to read it again. :) My friend and I have a blog about our spiritual journeys as well. I haven't blogged on it in a while but she has. It's at http://soulsearchingsisters.blogspot.com/

Eve said...

I also searched Ishmael quotes and found your blog. Such a great read! I'm just finishing up The Story of B (so far the only one to truly anger me) and can't wait to turn this into my message.

Brian C. Setzler, CPA said...

I found it the same way and just want to share with other Daniel Quinn fans the fact that Quinn has written MANY books.

I highly recommend The Story of B, My Ishmael, and then Beyond Civilization.

DQ's latest book is called "The Teachings"