Friday, September 4, 2009

pilgrimage - day #20

walking on holy ground...

The holiest places I've ever been were in London, England.  Maybe this was because I wasn't home, I was sight-seeing alone (Dana was at work), and I was looking for someone or something to tell me where to go with my life path.

We arrived at St. Paul Cathedral around noon, of course I wasn't paying close attention to time.  I walked off the red open-topped bus and into this massive church.  I arrived just in time to hear the 12noon prayers.  Up on the pulpit high above me was this very stern looking nun.  I didn't know the Latin part of her prayer, but I was able to join in on the Lord's Prayer. It was such a moving experience - I was brought to tears.  As a non-Catholic person at only 20, I was experiencing my first taste of mass.

Afterwards I did a bit of an independent tour.  The enormity of the cathedral was so incredible.  It actually was more impressive that Notre Dame.  I was brought to my knees in prayer when I traveled in the Angelican Martyr's Chapel.  I felt felt closer to God then I ever did before.  There was such a sense of being "home".

I have never had that powerful of an experience again.  However, I do find myself in an overwhelming attitude of peace as I continue on this spiritual journey.  Today marks the half-way point on the "Pilgrimage" journey, and I do believe I have learned more about myself.  I hope my soul continues to have moments of clarity, but I'm not expecting a huge epiphany or awakening.  Of course a small epiphany would be rather cool, huh?


Today's Scripture
Psalms 25:8-10 (The Message)
Who is this King-Glory?
God, armed
and battle-ready.
Wake up, you sleepyhead city!
Wake up, you sleepyhead people!
King-Glory is ready to enter.
Who is this King-Glory?
God the Angel Armies:
he is King-Glory

No comments: