Tuesday, September 1, 2009

pilgrimage - day #17

"May I slow my pace enough on the road to allow my soul to catch up with my feet."
Pilgrimage by Patricia D. Brown

In this fast-paced world, do we ever just sit and appreciate everything around us?  Taking the time to sip a cup of hot coffee, watch a movie, talk with a spouse, read a book with your children, write a letter to a friend, or call a reliative that is home-bound.  Do we tend to use the excuse - "I'm too busy," as the reason these acts of kindness are undone.

One of Eva's newest phrases is, "I'm too busy!"  She replies with this statement when asked to do something she doesn't want to do.  As comical as it may seem, Eva is only repeating what she hears me say.  Quite often I am so busy accomplishing daily tasks that I put off what the girls want me to do with them.  I do say, "I'm too busy" throughout the day, but I do make time to play, read, and share life with my girls...just not every waking minute like they would prefer.

I will use this passage today as a reminder that I need to be less busy, more open to taking things slow and experiencing EVERYTHING rather than the short version of life.

Today's Scripture
Psalms 5:7-8 (NIV)
But I, by your great mercy, 
will come into your house; 
in reverence will I bow down
toward your holy temple.
Lead me, O Lord, in your righteousness
because of my enemies - 
make straight your way before me.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I always try and stop to take a look at things around. Especially birds. I'll often see a Bald Eagle or an Osprey as I'm out driving. And I wonder if I'm the only one to have noticed with everyone around me rushing here or there, talking on a cell phone, or texting. I think it's important to take a step back and look at life around you.

I try and have at least 30-60 minutes a day (or combine this time if I plan an afternoon or full day outing) just for me. I'll read, write, take pictures, whatever as long as it's something fun and relaxing for me.

And likewise on the other extreme I try and remember my ten minutes of mourning. If there's something I want to complain about I'll do so (through blogging, just thinking on my own, etc) but then move on after the "ten minutes of mourning" have passed. I think it's good to allow oneself to vent and even feel discouraged about things in life. But it's just as important to move on whether it's to fixing the situation or accepting and moving on. Sometimes it's harder to do but it's something I keep in mind all of the time.