Friday, May 13, 2011

Day #11 {31 Days to Clean}

Day #11 - Limitations (Life is Hard)

Oh, brother!  Did I choose too many things to accomplish today!  Phew!

I completed what I set out to do...but boy did I get thrown a few curve balls.

Everything started off "normal" this morning.  I washed the walls in the living room, up the stairs, and the entire hallway upstairs.  Here are two before and afters:

 Wall before - hand markings
 Crayon markings below light switch
 after  - hand prints gone and no crayon!

Then I decided to start in the back room area.  This is a storage area under our front porch.  The other area fell under pantry/fruit cellar from last week.  So here is a before:







As you can see the wardrobe is completely falling apart.  So I decided to purchase a new one.  Of course the new one didn't come with instructions.  Yeah, pretty sad Target.  So after all was said and done, here is the after:

I also decided it was high time to clean out the coat closet, which resides in our living room.  I thought it wouldn't take a lot of time.  I was wrong.

 Before - Fisher Price Little People toys just crammed in

After - with the addition of a shelf

Of course it helped that I was already going to Target to get a new wardrobe.  So I purchased a little shelving system that allowed me to nicely shelve the toys.  Now the girls can see what toys they have.  I originally thought that at 6 and 4 my ladies would be done with the Fisher Price Little People, but after many tears this morning, I agreed they could keep the stash.

I really, REALLY, REEEAAALLLY liked the topic for today: Limitations.  Before children I would have no problem cleaning my house from top to bottom, going to the grocery store, and catching up on laundry and other needs of the home all in ONE DAY.  Now, I am lucky to get one room cleaned before someone needs to be picked up from school, or before the day is done.

It is a blessing to know that other women struggle with their roles as homemakers.  We want to be the perfect homemaker.  But unlike an office job, our roles aren't easily defined.  Each day is a different animal.  We are NEVER given the same reaction to a meal twice.  It is the hardest job I have EVER done.  My mom made it seem so easy!

When I was a little girl, I was messy.  My mom gave me the book Mr. Messy and I just loved it!  The other day Google celebrated the author, Roger Hargreaves.  I thought it would be appropriate to show a picture of who my mom thought I was:


1 comment:

Fairy Tale Mama said...

Great results! Love it. I agree about how the job role of mom is so hard to define. I told Peter that it was so much easier when I had a boss to give me an "atta boy!" every now and then. ;-)