Sunday, May 15, 2011

Day #15 {31 Days to Clean}

Day #15 - I'd Rather Do Anything But Clean (Motivation)


I suppose everyone has the household "things" they like to do, and the ones they abhor.  For me, I do love to vacuum.  There is something very powerful about sucking up hair, crumbs, and other miscellaneous filth on the ground - and instant gratification.  The interesting thing is that I would rather vacuum an area then anything else.

What do I dislike?  Where do I start?  Windows, walls, washing floors, doing laundry, washing dishes.  Oh, who am I kidding?  I really don't like to do any of it, besides vacuuming.

When I wrote my mission statement 2 Sundays ago, I hoped that at some point my girls would catch onto the importance of a clean home.  My Mission Statement:

I will create a space that is comfortable and stress-free, while fostering the importance of an organized and clean environment for my family. 

With a household of people coming today, I wanted the ladies to clean their play table.  The table is perfect for holding presents.  Believe it or not, they actually helped to organize the items on the table, and put them in their right locations!  I was shocked and thrilled.  It wasn't without a bit of fighting over who owned each little item (the table is a converted train table that now houses strawberry shortcakes, fairies and legos).  But in the end we have a clean surface for the placement of of gifts later. I am sorry I didn't take a before and after pic to congratulate them online!

Sarah Mae suggests writing a lesson plan for your children about "the eternal value of taking care of your domain".  Instead of a lesson plan, I have incorporated my girls into the process of cleaning, purging, and reorganizing each day.  They are well aware that I am doing the 31-day program, and ask what is next on the list.  Some projects are not child-friendly (i.e. going through medicine and cleaning supplies), but most of the daily chores are completely able to be restructured for their help and/or input.  With incorporating my girls I am hoping they take a more active role in maintaining what we are accomplishing each day.  Still crossing fingers...HA!

Have a lovely day!

1 comment:

Fairy Tale Mama said...

I hope Evie's party went great! I had a good laugh---I like vacuuming the LEAST! :-)