Monday, May 2, 2011

Steps to Eliminate Core Lies

While preparing for my 31 Days to Clean challenge, I found the first book Sarah Mae wrote (also a PDF).  Core Lies is a very short e-book that has had a profound effect on me. 

I have issues that I know have direct correlation to my relationships.  Who am I kidding?  We ALL have issues.  But I am hoping to go through the steps to work through my core lies.  What exactly are these steps?  Dave Bowman, Campus Director at Penn State University for the Navigators Ministry and originator of Core Lies, gives us the 10 "Rs":

1. Remember Events
2. Recognize you have been sinned against 
3. Response 
4. Realize your Emotional response
5. Reveal your Goals
6. Relating a Certain way Behaviorally 
7. Renounce vows, lies and images
8. Repent of your goal
9. Replace
10. Reconcile/Restore

At this point, I have remembered a few events in my life that have contributed to my unrealistic body image, and my struggle to eat healthy rather than diet.  There have been negative people, situations and comments that have hurt my core.

Just yesterday, while in line at CVS buying Kaopectate (yes, folks I had an upset stomach) there was a lovely woman that said, "Your eyes match your shirt, so beautiful!  Are you pregnant?"  She was then looking at my stomach.  I said, "no, I'm not."  Zoe was with me, and she looked at the woman like she had sprouted a second head.  The woman replied, "I'm sorry.  People think I'm pregnant all the time with my big belly and all."  Now, what part of this compliment/statement should I focus on?  The fact my eyes matched my shirt?  Yeah, that's pretty tough to do, readers.

However, the real damage done to me was many years ago.  It was how I was raised.  My mom had a weight issue, and projected it on us.  My sister was "too skinny" and was forced to drink caloric-rich shakes and food.  Even as an adult, my sister has very unhealthy food addictions.  She eats only organic, and binges on chocolate like crazy.  Point being: I really REALLY need to deal with this core lie before I destroy my girls.  It's amazing how important core lies are when there are children involved.

It's getting past the acknowledgment of the origin of the lie, and moving onto the healing and the true process of replacing the lie with truth.  Pray for me, readers, that I can accomplish this VERY long term hope/goal.

1 comment:

Fairy Tale Mama said...

People are just morons sometimes! Ugh! Sending you positive thoughts and energy that you'll overcome the negativity.