Friday, May 27, 2011

Day #26 and #27 {31 Days to Clean}

Day #26 - Laundry
Day #27 - Becoming Friends with Goodwill


Ah, laundry...the one thing that is never done.  I think laundry and dishes are curses, because the minute you think you've completed the task - another item goes in the sink or laundry basket.  Sarah Me calls laundry her nemesis, and I think most women would agree.  Personally dishes take first place in the nemesis category for me.  With two kids and that seem to eat and drink all the time, there are a TON of dishes to do. 

The topic of laundry made me think of a funny story.

My sister once dated this guy that would hardly ever do his laundry.  He would simply purchase new clothes when he had nothing more to wear.  I am not joking.  He had a very good job, lived with his mom (free rent), and pretty much had nothing to use his money for (except new clothes).  One day my mom told him that it would be so much simpler (and cheaper) to wash his clothing, he could even use our family's washer and dryer, AND she would help him complete the task (my mother - always the gullible gal).  After a whole day of cleaning, his wardrobe was ready to be taken home and hung and/or put away in drawers.  However, a month later I noticed he was wearing new clothes again.  He said, "Yeah, all my other ones are dirty, so I just went over to Hudsons and got a few things."  Some people never change.

I wash items on a schedule, most of the time.  Thursdays: girls; Friday: Jim and mine; Sunday: Towels and sheets, etc.  However, this can get off course quite easily.  I don't stress about laundry - I just don't like it.  However, I find that working from home makes laundry a bit easier to complete. 

I have been "friends" with donations centers since I was a little girl.  My mom donated to Purple Heart a couple times a year when we were young, so I tend to still donate there.  I also have donated to the Salvation Army many times over the last 10 years.  Since becoming a member at our church,  I also donate there in the spring for their annual rummage sale.  I do not have a problem purging - however, it amazes me how much stuff we accumulate that needs to be purged.  what is hard is purging items that are from my ladybugs.

They were really super cute, earlier this year, when we went through their stuffed stuff.  Zoe was so awesome about determining which things were important to her.  Evie wanted to gleam from Zoe's purged items.  It was truly hilarious.  Zoe would say, "This can be donated," and place it in the garbage bad.  Then Evie would take it out and say, "Thank you, Zoe!  I love it!"  However, in the end, the ladybugs donated a huge garbage bag full of stuffed toys.

I have to be sneaky when it comes to clothing and/or little trinkets from Wendy's kids meals or from birthday parties.  You know the toys I'm speaking of: plastic, small, goofy, easily sucked up by a vacuum, and/or stepped on by Daddy.  Yeah, those toys just got a bit of a purge from me - a few days ago - without the knowledge of the ladybugs.

Today is carpet cleaning day! Hooray!  Today marks the last day for my Martha challenges.  I cannot believe how far my home (and heart) have come in such a short time.  I will post a few "home sweet home" pics later today or this weekend.

1 comment:

Fairy Tale Mama said...

I'm so glad you've been able to get so much done. I had a dream last night and you were in it and had some purple hair too. I think it's a sign. :-)