Thursday, May 5, 2011

Day #4 {31 Days to Clean}

Day #4 - A Place to Put Your Feet Up






Yesterday was probably the most surprisingly gross Martha task for me, thus far.  My oven was definitely a very nasty place to clean (we were also supposed to clean our microwave, but that wasn't too bad).  Six years ago (the February before Zoe was born) we self-cleaned the oven.  We had no idea the smell was going to be so intense, and I guess I just didn't want to go "there" again.  Fast forward to yesterday.

The day was jam-packed with other outside-of-the-home obligations.  So the oven's self-cleaning process didn't begin until 4pm.  This meant it was "family nite" at our home = take out from a local eatery.  I chose Salad Wrappers because of my hope to continue to adhere to the Weight Watchers program started a little over 8 weeks ago.

At 7:30 I was using steel wool to remove gunk from the oven racks, but it wasn't until I began cleaning the drawer that I almost lost my lunch.  I wipe down the cook-top of the oven, but there was 6 years of gunk...6 years!  In the end of this process, I really felt liberated.  It was a very cathartic process for me. 

The Mary challenge was again introspective.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Mary challenge each day.  Do I have a home others feel comfortable in?  I certainly hope so.  When I was in high school, my parent's home was the hang-out place of all my friends.  My mom had a wonderful way of making everyone feel at home.  My grandmother was the same way.  All the neighborhood children sat on their porch and drank Coke-a-cola and ate cheese crackers.  Ask any of these children (all adults now) and everyone remembers Ardis and Ray and the warm hospitality they offered all.

I sincerely hope that I have inherited that warm and inviting ability.

I have a dear friend coming over on June 1st, whom I have not seen in almost a year.  I cannot wait to show her a warm welcome in my home that afternoon. :)

1 comment:

Fairy Tale Mama said...

It was always a good time at your folks' house in high school :-) Ah, the good old days...