Friday, May 6, 2011

Day #5 {31 Days to Clean}

Day #5 - Priorities


Today we had the Mary challenge of establishing a list of priorities.  Sarah Mae was kind enough to share her 6 item list, her goal in progress for each, and a few scriptures to accompany them.

I was inspired to write my list, and thought I would share it with my readers.


My Priorities:


1) Spirit-Focused Life
goal = spend 20 minutes each morning to meditate and rejuvenate with the Creator.

2) My husband, Jim
goal = to be a loving and supportive wife, making sure to give what he needs as well as communicating my needs.  Making certain to devote time for "dates".

3) My girls, Zoe & Evie
goal = providing a loving, and nurturing home and a Christ-focused education that encompasses their mind, body and spiritual growth.


4) C.O.O. of the Martin Family Home
goal = effectively running the family home - financially, spiritually and life-giving.


5) Friends and Community
goal = give time and talents to the church (Sunday School, choir, etc.).  Take time to show love to friends (cards, visits, phone calls, etc.).

6) Music/Writing Career
goal = carve out 30 minutes 3 times a week to work on music and/or literature writing.

Now that I have a list of priorities, I need to adhere to it.  I really think that is where the challenge truly begins.

The Martha challenge, albeit not as olfactory stimulating as day #4, is still difficult to complete.  I have started to notice that even though we are only doing a task or two per day, there are other external factors that can easily sway us from accomplishing the challenge.  I am not speaking about people, I am speaking about daily chores around the house.  Yesterday, that chore was laundry.  Laundry seemed to consume a large portion of the day.  However, I was able to complete everything to fruition; I did work a bit more than I was hoping...oh well there is a goal in sight: a Life-giving home for my family.

Yesterday afternoon I had a wonderful Mom moment and I would love to share it.

After lunch, the ladies and I went to Hallmark to get Mother's Day and Birthday cards.  While we were there the girls found stuffed toys that they "had to have".  I told them that we didn't have the money for the toys.  I purchased our cards, while listening to sobs and pleads.  On the way to the car, Zoe was more dramatic than usual.  When we left the parking garage the attendant asked Zoe what was wrong.  She ignored him.  I politely said that she was upset that a toy she wanted was left at the store.  On the way home Zoe continued to sob.  I was quite surprised, because this behavior is usually indicative of Evie.  I told my girls that they each had money in their piggy banks, and if they wished we could return later to Hallmark and they could purchase the toys with their OWN money.  We returned a couple hours later, with purses around arms.  Evie and Zoe both found their "animals" and each took her time at the register.  The cashier was very patient, and made sure to say, "Thank you for shopping at Hallmark.  Please come again!"  On our way out of the parking garage, the same attendant noticed we had returned.  I replied that the girls had taken money from their piggy banks to pay for the toys they wanted.  He seemed impressed.  He told the girls he was proud of them.  I am too.  I felt like a really important life lesson was learned by all of us.

One final note: when the girls and I were on our way to Zoe's piano lesson yesterday morning, we passed a church that had a quote on their sign.  I really was touched by the simplicity, and will leave it with you to ponder.


"Have you made God smile today?"

I think my girls did! :)

1 comment:

Fairy Tale Mama said...

I'm inspired by your thoughts on this. I need some re-evaluation time after all this ridiculous PTA nonsense is over. And don't be exhausted by my summer "fun list". I'm just on crack...that's all there is to it. I really doubt we'll get to most of it, but I just wanted options. I'm sure we'll do the science though. That I KNOW will be fun. :-)