Saturday, May 21, 2011

Day #21 {31 Days to Clean}

Day #21 - The Importance of a Plan






So judgment day did not occur...guess I have to continue with the 31 day challenge.  Tee Hee!

Today I am tackling something that has not been done for over 3 years.  What is this project?  Painting a portion of the basement wall.  Doesn't sound super difficult, right?  I just think time and desire to accomplish the task are the real issues here.

In March of 2008, we had a new furnace installed in our basement.  Our old one was from the 50s or 60s, or sometime back them.  One of the storage areas (the place the houses our pantry) was a coal shoot - yeah, we have an OLD home.  The old furnace was a monster, and took up a huge part of the basement.  When the new furnace was installed a portion of the wall (original chimney brick) showed.  This wall happens to be in the office/music studio portion of the basement.  This is an area that I spend a good amount of time in each week.

Jim promised he would fix this wall, and I figured I could wait a month or two - try 38 months later.  I am currently in the process of painting it - primer coat is drying.  I have stopped nagging for things to be done around here...so instead of being upset, I just do them or get someone else to do them.

Today's Mary Challenge asks us to take some time and prepare a plan for managing our home.  I used to have a weekly schedule, to which I scheduled laundry and household "stuff".  However, it became too overwhelming and rigid for me to adhere.  Now I make a weekly schedule each Sunday, and add the "wish to dos" amongst the "have to dos".  Each week I tailor the schedule to our needs and wants, and no two weeks are the same.  But each week I do laundry, I clean, and I take care of meals, etc.  I have a dry erase board that I fill with different fun colors.  This has its place on our fridge, and opposite it resides the monthly family calendar.

Note: I am a planner by nature, but I have learned that not everything can be planned.

I will have pictures tomorrow from week #3.  Hopefully you all have a blessed, Saturday.

1 comment:

Fairy Tale Mama said...

I need to get on board with your plan and start doing stuff myself instead of asking for it to be done. :-)